Product Development Engineer
Product Development Leaders or Various Manager(s)
The purpose of this position description is to reflect consistency of positions throughout the corporation; capture relevant education, training, skills and experience; and determine the necessary competence for the personnel performing work affecting product quality.
Responsible for new product development and associated engineering requirements, including design verification for engineering changes to current production products. Act as the company’s engineering representative on Customer vehicle teams.
Essential position functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Apply the fundamentals of mechanical theory, material properties, test protocols and basic manufacturing processes to daily projects.
• Act as Engineering liaison between customer teams and internal business unit and manufacturing teams
• Regularly provide the design department with the latest background information, e.g., CAD files, drawings, etc
• Incorporate design for manufacturing (DFM) initiatives according to the Shape minimum process requirements during product design
• Develop component and system level product designs utilizing engineering applications in accordance with customer requirements.
• Work with component suppliers as required to ensure all outsourced component designs meet Shape and customer requirements
• Work with component suppliers to evaluate and progress technical proposals to improve product
• Interpret and understand customer inputs and communicate Shape outputs to customers.
• Maintain effective communication with internal and external customers to meet development timelines.
• Procure parts, cost and funding of rapid prototypes and mockups to support engineering development
• Provide on-site support for all prototype builds and production launches
• Participate as a member of the program management team supporting APQP and handle VA/VE activities
• Additional functions not specifically outlined in this position description as directed by the leader.
Position Skills and Experience Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty effectively. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
• Prior experience with vehicle packaging (prefer BIW or exterior expeirence).
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to internal and external customers.
• Excellent Japanese & English language skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Equivalent work experience may be substituted for degree.
• Minimum of five years prior experience in a product, process or manufacturing engineering role, preferably in a product development role.