The Business Unit Project Management, hierarchically reporting to the BU Portfolio Management and functionally to the Project Management, is responsible to fully leverage the Project Life Cycle System to achieve his/her individual program‘s; quality, profitability, timing and product performance goals and insures that programs achieve the following KPI’s;
1. Staffed on Time - negotiates with functional leaders to insure that programs have team members assigned with the appropriate skill level for the program complexity, and have the required bandwidth to achieve the program deliverables
2. Start on Time - critical path timelines are built backward from 1st customer parts to insure programs start on time regardless if we have the customer award
3. Spend on Time – insure that program business case financial requirements are approved when required per the timeline and that equipment, tooling and component ordering proceeds per the timeline
4. Source on Time – insure that external and internal suppliers are sourced on time, are capable to achieve commitments, are involved and progress monitored throughout the program phases
Leadership: Leads the cross-functional team in a professional manner when interfacing with the customer and internal management. Motivates the team to achieve commitments to the established timing. Builds the team technically and personally through mentoring and coaching. Resolves conflicts between team members, departments and the customer. Negotiates with internal and external groups, vendors and the customer. Demonstrates an ability to identify root cause(s) of a problem, develop corrective action(s) and leads the team to resolution.
Cross-functional Team Management: Is the central communication point for the team to ensure that each team member is aware of their deliverables and timing commitments at all times. Trains and coaches the team in the product launch process to ensure compliance. Manages the team to meet timing, cost, manufacturing, quality and cost targets. Establishes the team meeting cadence and monitors attendance to assure the correct team members are present at each meeting. Creates the agenda, schedules meetings and keeps the meeting on task. Provides the team information needed to perform tasks. Actively includes external and internal suppliers as a member of the team when & where appropriate.
Scope Management: Communicates the impact of scope changes to the customer and team in a timely manner in terms of cost, timing, product, quality of execution and any potential risks to the project. Publishes and updates the Customer Statement of Work/Project Charter and Supplier Statement of Work(s) and ensures all scope changes are captured in the documents. Utilizes the formal product change management process for evaluation and approval/non-approval for internal and customer scope changes. Differentiates scope changes from product changes. Mitigates the risk of scope changes and keeps management informed of change and affect on the project. Ensures that Marelli’s financial performance is protected and enhanced by customer driven scope changes.
Launch Execution Planning: The PM and team KPI’s are aligned to achieve 0 recordable accidents, 0 rejected parts per million, 100% delivery on time to the customer, and deliver 100% of financial goals at 90 days post SOP. Anticipate risks caused by late tasks and changes by developing mitigation strategy(s). Establish a documented implementation plan and containment action for product changes at launch. Works with suppliers to ensure all necessary resources are in place for launch. Provide on-site plant support throughout pre-production builds. Follows up with launch management to ensure all plant functions are ready. Fosters effective working relationship between all project team members and insures on-site plant support plans are established through the launch process. Bundle late changes into pre-launch and post-launch buckets to minimize risk.
Financial Roadmap & Financial Reporting: Schedules a regular financial review team meeting once a month throughout the project to ensure financial targets are achieved by driving the Financial Roadmap with clear responsibility, commitment dates and cost reduction/price improvement actions. Ensures the product(s) is designed to meet BOM cost targets by facilitating between all team members & functions to achieve targets.
Timing: Ability to create work breakdown structures (WBS) with customer milestones/deliverables used as the foundation. Gate timing is developed from a critical path timeline that meets internal and customer firewalls with the Project start calculated backward from 1st customer part MRD. With team input and agreement develops and manages the CAD/Drawing schedule, prototype build schedule, and testing schedule and ensure any gaps are addressed to meet the project timeline. The project timeline is utilized in weekly team meetings to clearly communicate deliverables and due dates. Responsible for Gate reviews being held on schedule, regardless of whether or not exit can be achieved. Creates issue lists that are clear and concise with responsibility, due dates and deliverables.
Product: Responsible for leading the team to meet Craftsmanship objectives with action plans to address gaps. Audit customer samples for customer satisfaction via the Customer Shipping Approval Review/related process. Audit all testing results and manage timing and corrective action to support launch. Leads the change management meeting. Meets applicable product requirements including specifications, functional expectations and national safety requirements.
Customer Satisfaction: Fosters an effective personal working relationship with appropriate customer contacts. Maintain personal credibility with customer. Recognized by the customer as the key contact for project implementation. Meets dates and commitments via customer open issues list and insures prompt responses. Communicates with data for scope changes with cost, quality and timing impact. Gains internal consensus on scope changes prior to communicating to customer. Archives and retains key customer correspondence and documents. Maintains regular contact with customer to communicate problems early. Does not avoid difficult issues or decisions. Understand customer’s organization and procedures in detail.
Global Management Skills: Has the ability to successfully function in multiple cultures while matching his/her interpersonal style to the culture they are working in. Has awareness and respect for different cultures and demonstrates an interest in other cultures and adapts messaging as needed.
- 5+ years of progressive experiences in 3 or more functional areas such as development engineering, production engineering, sales, quality, purchasing, project finance, costing, testing or manufacturing engineering and project management within the Automotive Industry;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 (Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Proficiency with MS Project and experienced with Project Portfolio Management (PPM) software;
- Willing and able to travel within the domestic region and to international locations as needed.
OTHER INFORMATION & SPECIFIC SKILLS
- Previous experience successfully working with, and influencing senior management, along with demonstrated ability to build relationships and positively influence outcomes;
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading change management;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and conflict management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others in a matrix management structure;
- Ability to collaborate globally and cross-functionally with individuals in a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds and build strategic relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to mentor individuals in leading, as well as functioning in a cross-functional environment;
- Ability to drive execution to meet business objectives and exceed profit plans;
- Team player, who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment;
- Has high integrity, a positive attitude, and has demonstrated passion for achieving business objectives and future growth plans.
Master in project management is a plus.
LANGUAGES: Very good working knowledge of English is must, other languages are a plus
EDUCATION (SCHOOL/SPECIALIZATION): Bachelor’s degree in engineering (or equivalent, Master’s degree preferred)
5+ years of project management experience within the automotive or manufacturing business.