Supply Chain Specialist (Purchasing)
Reports to: Japan MD / Senior Manager
Procures materials or other goods and/or coordinates activities involved with purchasing products and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts, and supplies. Receives and reviews requisitions requesting goods or services. Communicates with vendors to obtain product or service information, such as price, availability, and delivery schedule. Reviews bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
This purpose of this job description is to reflect consistency of positions throughout the corporation; capture relevant education, training, skills and experience; and determine the necessary competence for the personnel performing work affecting product quality.
Essential Job Functions include, but not limited to, the following:
• Execute all activities associated with the quoting of “business processes”
• Provide support for profit improvement for business/job award to end of production
• Audit various supplier quote items for presentation to Business Units, including but not limited to; o Material content breakdown
o Supplier cost and tooling breakdown
o Supplier selection analysis
• Ensure accurate completion of quotes, quote summaries, schedules and releases.
• Communicate to Business Teams trends within the commodities that may impact pricing, quality or availability.
• Drive continuous improvement of all processes related to the procurement of materials, equipment, tools, parts and supplies that support the organization's production needs.
• Participate in departmental strategic planning within Shape’s internal systems as well as the supply base.
• Identify and train a back-up(s) to manage key tasks when absent.
• Additional functions not specifically outlined in this position description as directed by the leader.
Position Skills and Experience Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty effectively. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
• Prior experience with relevant manufacturing processes, i.e. stamping, welding, injection molding.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Applications (e.g. word, excel, outlook, etc).
• Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong time management skills with the ability to balance multiple tasks with tight timeframes.
• Proven ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders.
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills
• Business process experience, ideally in automotive environment
• Automotive international trade handling experience
• Japanese / English / Chinese language skills to ensure good communication with global supply chain
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management or equivalent.
• 5+ years experience in a purchasing role preferred.